Alright guys, let’s be honest. We are all guilty of comparing ourselves to those we follow on social media. We place others on a pedestal and we think our lives just don’t live up to theirs. Well, I am here to give you a reality check. Here are 5 things you should know about me.
- I don’t always have a great workout, heck I sometimes don’t work out at all. I do not have an eternal fountain of motivation inside me. I get lazy. I get tired. I get bored. I skip days. I go to the gym and go through the motions. I consciously have to schedule in workouts in the morning, as I know that by the evening I will have made some work related excuse to not train.
- I’m not always productive and I do procrastinate. Some days I just want to lay in bed and watch Netflix. Other days I am constantly distracted by social media notifications. I would much rather put on a face mask and scroll instagram than edit my 5th youtube video of the day or reply to my 40th email. I have to be extremely regimented with myself to ensure that I get everything done.
- I eat “unhealthy” food more often than you think. I have a social life so go out to eat multiple times a week, and I don’t always make the most nutritious choice. I love ice cream, chocolate, bread, cheese, cocktails… everything. I don’t deprive myself of these things. I try to portion control but sometimes I consume too much of them. I don’t ever feel guilty about it. Life is for living and food is to be enjoyed. I follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I eat healthy balanced meals, 20% of the time I indulge.
- My life isn’t as glamorous as it seems on social media. I show the highlights, the best bits, the fun events, the travel, the food, the epic workouts. In reality, I spend most of my time in my pink fluffy dressing gown and slippers working at my kitchen table. I work long hours and I get overwhelmed by my never ending to-do lists. I don’t just prance between gyms in my new activewear sipping green juice, there is so much more work that goes on behind closed doors!
- I’m human. Occasionally my confidence waivers and I have moments of self-doubt. I worry about what people might think, whether I said the right thing or made the wrong decision. I am fearful that I won’t live up to my own expectations and I get stressed about keeping up with my workload. Although I love my body, I am very aware of its flaws. I have cellulite, stretch marks and wobbly bits, but I accept them.
Keeping it real on social media is something which I am hugely passionate about. If you want to hear me speak about this topic as well as self love, confidence and more; then check out the upcoming #girlgains event in collaboration with Protein Pow. Tickets available soon, follow #girlgains on instagram to be the first to know about them!